Graduation and the Start of Summer

So about a week ago, I graduated from high school. It was rather surreal, because I didn't think that something like this could happen to me, but it did. 

Walking toward the football field where the ceremony was held on that hot, late Wednesday afternoon felt like a dream. I even told my sister, "I still don't think this whole 'graduation' thing is going to hit me until I'm driving over to DeSales University for orientation. Then it's going to slap me in the face and I'll realize, 'My God, I've actually graduated.'" 

She just looked at me and laughed and said, "Yeah, that's probably going to happen when I walk into my dorm room."

Even at my graduation party, I still thought I was going to go back to high school once the summer was over. And though I know that won't be true at all, it still feels odd thinking about leaving all of my old friends behind as they either go off to college or into the workforce.

I'm excited, though. I feel like this summer I'll be able to get more work done. Granted, I have a new job at Sesame Place (it's not too bad), but I still want to be able to do the things I love. I want to go back and volunteer at the Village Players of Hatboro and see all of my fellow volunteers and friends (though my schedule often has me on weekends, which is when their shows typically take place). I want to call up old faces and hang out with them one day.

I should also get back on driving practice. Now that most of my days are free, I should probably start practicing more.

Anyway, I feel like I'm not the only one feeling like this about graduation and the start of a new year. If you're a high school graduate starting at university in the summer, let me know how you feel about it in the comments. Do you still think you're in high school? Or are you ready to go out into the dreaded "real world"?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Recap of My Surreal Experience with Palaye Royale, The Strive, Chucky Hugh

Life at DeSales University (So Far)